Skip to main content

Why travelling in Taiwan is the best you can experience (Part 1)

Hey everyone! I'm glad I found some time to continue my blog! Since I am travelling I don't have really much time or I am just to tired! I hope you enjoy!

Within the next two weeks there will be two more entrys coming. One at January the 20th and the next one about first February! Stay tuned!

Update on my last article

It is really fun to write down all the funny and strange things about Taiwan, compare all the cultural oddnesses and see why there are such differences or similarities between Taiwan and Germany. Altough I am only able to compare these both countries it is very interesting to read for everyone. Maybe it will give you a new perspective of seeing Taiwan. I will post a version here!




Thoughts

I am sitting in a fancy Café in Kaoshiung, south-west of Taiwan, enjoying the quiet atmosphere and a coffee mocha. Thinking about the last six days travelling, about my time in Taipei, all the experiences and how everything changed me and my view on my life. Thoughts are passing by, everything comes, stays for a while and goes again.

Taiwan at it's bests!


The last six days were full of new experiences and amazing moments. I saw stunning mountains in Taroko and a bewitching coast in Hualien and Shitiping, took a nice rest in Dulan, a very small and fancy village, biked through Taitung and talked to a lot of people.

All of these places have it's own magic. I hope I can give you a small insight why Taiwan is the best place to travel.

Hualien



Hualien has a beautiful biking path down the coast. The Ocean on the right and the mountains on the left. I made a stop at a beach and enjoyed the sunset and the relaxing sound of the Ocean's waves.

On my way back I saw the moon rise over the ocean, I never saw such a phenomenal view. The moon is huge, red and you see all it's carves. It is a bit like sunrise but not so bright. The reflection on the ocean added a spectacular atmosphere. Besides that Hualien is a great spot to grab really good, local food. They even have a local speciality, a deep fried egg pancake (Taiwanese have to fry everything as deep as they can). Not very healthy but delicious!
The moon shining through the clouds











Taroko

In Taroko I stayed in a small church right in the mountains, very simple and amazingly beautiful. I stood up early and did a full day hiking through the mountains. At some points the hiking trails can become very dangerous, really an adrenaline hike at some point:
Walking on a ridge, rockfalls left only half of the already small path. Ten meters of free fall and further 30 meters of bold mountain face on my right and a dangerously sharply falling forest area on my left. Sometimes the path ended in a wall and I had to climb up, only hold by an old mouldered rope.


But the effort and dangers were worth it! The stunning view and discovering my physical and mental limits really lead me to new points of viewing myself. This was one of the most intensive experiences I had in my entire life and this day was getting better.



I was going down on the road and tried to hitchhike, which fortunately didn't work, because I passed by an old bridge. Curiosity overcame me and I walked over the bridge and a small part of a long hiking trail to another even older bridge. Climbing down to the other bridge I saw a small path going down to the river, which runs through the gorge. Arriving at the river I realized that there was crack in the mountain and hot water was pouring out.
I found an natural hot spring. Please tell me if there is something more satisfying than a hot spring after five hours of hiking! That day was amazing!









Shitiping




After Taroko I went to Shitiping, a scenic area down the East coast. The power of the ocean was very present there. Splashing and exploding waves on the riffs, water dashed meters into the air by huge waves.
I imagined being out there for a second and took two steps away from the cliffs. 


My stay was in a very fancy but yet strange piece of architectural art and had an amazing service. The guests also were really nice and we spent the evening drinking Taiwanese rice wine and exchanging stories. A young man working for the hostel joined us, he was from an aboriginal tribe and gave us an insight into ancient aboriginal culture and language.





Altough travelling alone can be very lonely I experienced very kind and open minded people that evening.
I am not sure if that is possible in Germany or other countries. Tell me your experiences.
Dulan

Getting from Shitiping to my next spot, Dulan, was quite difficult. There was only one bus a day and buses don't stop here, you have to grab the drivers attention if you want them to stop! I just had to wave at the right moment. I grab enough attention by just looking not Asian.
Arriving in Dulan I dropped off my lugage, grabbed some food and went over to the beach. I randomly went into a diner and met an old Indian man, who worked in Cologne for a few years and now opened a small restaurant in Dulan after he retired. He had some great food and we had a very nice talk. A very intelligent old man with tons of experience ready to share.

I also visited an old sugar factory with a small creative market in front. Here a lot of aboriginal people sell some hadmade necklaces and other beautful traditional jewlery.






Taitung


Yesterday I went to Taitung. There is nothing really spectacular about that city, but they have very well built bikeways running through a forest park and along the coast. I spent the evening at the ocean. Relaxing, feeling the moment, closing the eyes for a minute and enjoying the beautful sunset.







Kaoshiung

Today not much happened, I rent a bike and took a briefly look at the city and the harbour. Kaoshiung is a very nice city and I am sure it is worth to stay here a bit longer. Especially the night markets and the the seafood around the harbour should be really nice, but I already know the night markets and good seafood from Taipei, so I spend my evening here in a Café writing and working on my Blog and final article for Topology.




Coming up

Tomorrow I will catch a bus to Kenting, the southest part in Taiwan, and stay there for two nights. If the weather is good, I will go surfing and swimming. I also hope to find some time and spots to go snorkeling on Liuqiu Island, my next stop for two nights.
The island is not that famous but is the only one with well preserved coral riffs and a small campground right at the coast.
After visiting this small but beautiful island I will head up the west coast and come to Sun Moon Lake in the end.

I am sitting in my hostel, enjoying the relaxing atmosphere, my second coffee is empty but I cannot stop the tiredness coming over me. 


I hope you ejoyed reading this. Next week I will tell you how the rest of my journey was and what I experienced there.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Credits

CREDITS Topology Travel     Peter - Thank you for being a nice boss, although we didn't see each other a lot, I always enjoyed working with you. Steve - Especially developing and improving the walkabout tour was an everyday joy. Thank you for all your kindness and advice. Core -  Always a smile on your face and a happy welcome. Working with you was a pleasure for me. Linda -  I still remember all the times we laughed together in office! Even a bad day turned good with a afternoon sitting next to you! Jesper - I hope you are fine and still remember the time we got lost around Taipei Zoo! It was a pleasure to work with you and doing the walkabout tours with you!! Alan - We spent some time doing music together! I also enjoyed our visit in Tamsui University! Thank you for giving me this opportunities. To the rest of the office : I am sorry if I didn't meniton you here. I enjoyed working with you and all the fun times we had in office. I learned a lot fro

Why Toby and Thelmas Camping is worth travelling any distance to.

Paradise After an amazing, silent night with the calming sound of the ocean in the background, I woke up and got out of my tent to recognize I was in paradise: Camping The campground is only small and offers space for maximum 15 persons. The small group of guests provided the opportunity of a friendly and relaxing atmosph ere. Moreover the bewitching environment, the friendly staff and the amazing food made this campground a priceless experience for me. The price of about 26 € per night included three meals a day (two buffet meals and a breakfast) and free use of all equipment for example Kayaks.  I took a ten minute ride to the next small island everyday.  This small Island was called "the office" It was the only opportunity to get some Internet and a call from my girlfriend. Actually this week was very hard for the relationship. The time difference, a bad connection, we were able hear each other only a few times

Long time no see!

Arriving in Tokyo was a two parted experience. My first thought when I left the airplane was: It's so cold!  And yes, I felt the 30 degree drop from Phillipines to Tokyo.  The cold air soaked me in as soon as I left the airplane. The second thought was: I am going to meet a good friend soon! Ruben and I are friends since we met in school. He decided to go to Tokyo for one year and I decided to go to Taiwan, so the decision was easy to visit Tokyo. The city itself is a very busy, modern, weird, full, vibrant and traditional place at the same time. Nothing like Taipei or Manila. The buildings are large around the touristic parts but get lower as soon as you leave them. I immediately felt lost in the urban jungle. It was freezing in that time and although I got sick we went out every day to see the all the different facettes that Tokyo offers. Another thing you should consider if you are going to visit Tokyo, is that it is super expensive. I spent the money f