Skip to main content

Facets

Hello Everybody! A lot of things happened within the last two weeks. Now I found some time to share a few things with you:


Music

I found a great place to practice drums. The music store where I bought my guitar offers a room with a drum set for 50 NTD per hour. That is about 1,25 EUR. Incredibly cheap! I try to go there two times a week to keep my level and have some fun! I am really happy I found this!

Taipei at it's best

Another thing I just discovered is Taipei. Yes I have been here now for almost three months and just now I discover Taipei's facets. This city is so amazing.

You can reach almost everything you want within one hour. If you want something historical, visit Dadaocheng, the part of the city where Taipei started growing. From there the aboriginal tribes sold their goods to China. This part has a lot of this feeling. I don't know how to describe this right. You feel like traveled back in time. Many old buildings, no tourism, a lot of old people selling food in small streets next to a primary school. An old temple between two old and cracked buildings. Strange and amazing at the same time.
You also can visit 228 Peace Park, which remembers one of the darkest pages of Taiwanese history. Right next to it there the Ximending area where you will find a mix of old architecture and modern buildings. Furthermore Ximending is called Taipei's Times Square. A lot of young people are around there and fancy stores. From tattoo to cinema and clothing, everything can be found there.
You also can visit Taipei 101, one of the tallest buildings in the world, walk five minutes and find yourself in 44 South Village (military dependants' village from the 1950s'). From there it is only 10-20 minutes of walking to enter Elephant mountain hiking path and enjoy fresh air and nature. And if you don't like hiking you can take a relaxing hot spring in Beitou or visit the National Palace Museum, which has a huge amount of ancient artifacts.

Every single spot you can reach within one hour from main station.


Photography





Last week I bought myself a Canon 70 D and found a new hobby. Photography.
This passion owes to my work in Topology. I traveled around and had to take pictures for the Facebook page. I often was discontent with my results and the way of me taking photos. So I started to make my pictures better by perspective and to do more than just snapshots. But I always thought of a real camera. So finally I decided to buy a DSLR.

Taking photos, going outside and let yourself inspire by the city, by everything around you, special shadows or landscapes is so fun. This is really relaxing and challenging. It is not easy to take a photo with a "wow" effect. And that is what makes it so exiting for me. This is a challenge and a distraction of my work. I can focus on something else and try to catch something special.

But before I got outside and took photos I had to get a bit of knowledge. I didn't know what the ISO exactly is and how to set the camera in the right way. The Internet is a beautiful thing at that point. On Youtube I found a nice photographer, Ben Jaworskyi, who shared some of his knowledge with entertainment. I just watched his videos and took some notes. Afterwards I just got outside and made my own experiences. Photography can be really nice but annoying as well. If you try to get a special picture but you don't get the right setting of the camera, the picture is blurred and you see it when you are at home because the cameras' display doesn't show the picture in detail.

All in all it is so much fun!

If you want to see some of my photos visit my Flickr:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/129881066@N03/




Comments

  1. hey lukas, good to read that you have bought your camera, do take and post more photos, let me know if you have questions on photography, and i'll see if i have the answers ready for you =) patrick - from singapore

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thanks!. I just posted a few new pictures on Flickr maybe you can check them out :)

      https://www.flickr.com/photos/129881066@N03/

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Credits

CREDITS Topology Travel     Peter - Thank you for being a nice boss, although we didn't see each other a lot, I always enjoyed working with you. Steve - Especially developing and improving the walkabout tour was an everyday joy. Thank you for all your kindness and advice. Core -  Always a smile on your face and a happy welcome. Working with you was a pleasure for me. Linda -  I still remember all the times we laughed together in office! Even a bad day turned good with a afternoon sitting next to you! Jesper - I hope you are fine and still remember the time we got lost around Taipei Zoo! It was a pleasure to work with you and doing the walkabout tours with you!! Alan - We spent some time doing music together! I also enjoyed our visit in Tamsui University! Thank you for giving me this opportunities. To the rest of the office : I am sorry if I didn't meniton you here. I enjoyed working with you and all the fun times we had in office. I learned a lot fro

Why Toby and Thelmas Camping is worth travelling any distance to.

Paradise After an amazing, silent night with the calming sound of the ocean in the background, I woke up and got out of my tent to recognize I was in paradise: Camping The campground is only small and offers space for maximum 15 persons. The small group of guests provided the opportunity of a friendly and relaxing atmosph ere. Moreover the bewitching environment, the friendly staff and the amazing food made this campground a priceless experience for me. The price of about 26 € per night included three meals a day (two buffet meals and a breakfast) and free use of all equipment for example Kayaks.  I took a ten minute ride to the next small island everyday.  This small Island was called "the office" It was the only opportunity to get some Internet and a call from my girlfriend. Actually this week was very hard for the relationship. The time difference, a bad connection, we were able hear each other only a few times

Long time no see!

Arriving in Tokyo was a two parted experience. My first thought when I left the airplane was: It's so cold!  And yes, I felt the 30 degree drop from Phillipines to Tokyo.  The cold air soaked me in as soon as I left the airplane. The second thought was: I am going to meet a good friend soon! Ruben and I are friends since we met in school. He decided to go to Tokyo for one year and I decided to go to Taiwan, so the decision was easy to visit Tokyo. The city itself is a very busy, modern, weird, full, vibrant and traditional place at the same time. Nothing like Taipei or Manila. The buildings are large around the touristic parts but get lower as soon as you leave them. I immediately felt lost in the urban jungle. It was freezing in that time and although I got sick we went out every day to see the all the different facettes that Tokyo offers. Another thing you should consider if you are going to visit Tokyo, is that it is super expensive. I spent the money f