Skip to main content

soaked hiking - survive in Taiwan - impact of German culture

Tamsui and Shilin night market

Tamsui is a historical city near to the coast with a nice harbor. It was very interestimg to visit. I took the ferry across the river and walked around a bit. Unfortunately it was to dark. Otherwise I would have rent a bike, because they have a really old cycling path next to the coast. Back in Tamsui I visited some shops and took back the MRT to Shilin where I visited the largest night market in Taipei. A lot of food and crazy stuff there. I think the pictures describes best:

IMG_2340 IMG_2352 IMG_2361
A historical temple in middle of Tamsui, surrounded by high bulidings this Temple is a beautiful place to calm down. The view from Tamsui to Bail. Crazy jewelry. Would never buy that.
IMG_2366 IMG_2370 IMG_2372
 In this building I visited a dessert factory. Very delicious A presbyterian church in Tamsui. Berliner Landbrot?? Germany influences Taiwan.
IMG_2373 IMG_2379
Germany influences Taiwan part 2 After the long day  I took a foot massage. Very nice. I slept well.

Yangmingshan National Park

This park is so amazing and multifaceted. Although today was more a cloudy experience, it was very nice.
I started my tour by getting lost. If you take the bus, this is easy because they never give you a translation. Worth the experience. Next time I will do better. Maybe ask someone before getting out of the bus.
After that nice start I started my tour from the tourist center. The people there were very nice and speak English very well. They explained the area, suggested and recommended places and routes. They gave me a map and drew the route including Chinese words to show to locals, if I get lost. At that point I really love this country and the people here. I am not sure if you would experience something like this in Germany.
My route took me up to Mt. Qixing, the highest mountain in Taipei with 1120  meters. Down again on the other side through an area shaped by a volcano. Very stinky, because of the high amount of sulfur but also very fascinating due to hot steams streaming out of the earth. From there, by shuttle bus, to a nice grassland and heading on to local waterfalls. The pictures  below will describe better.

IMG_2470  IMG_2414 IMG_2417
The map I got with my route. Stairs….. more and more
IMG_2426 IMG_2437 IMG_2436
Yes it was a little bit spooky up there.
IMG_2445 IMG_2447 IMG_2460
Sulphur and volcano rocks Lunch in the clouds
IMG_2450 IMG_2464 IMG_2467
Humidity at 99 percent… cold and wet, not a good match. The nice grasslands in the national park.


Survive in Taiwan:
This is one of the most common problems for foreigners. Order food without language skills. How do you solve this problem?
Within my first weeks I discovered many ways to order food. At the beginning it was very difficult to get the local food. Sometimes I just pointed randomly on something but that is not a long term solution. Fortunately many diners provide English menus. But I want to experience more. I want to experience the cup food from the backstreets. So I simply asked someone from the hostel to write down "pork with fried rice" in Chinese and teach me. I just tried it and it worked perfectly.
Another way to order food is by using pictures. If you are spontaneous and don't want to prepare for every meal you just can order by pointing at pictures in the diner. I do that very often but if they don't provide pictures, I just start to talk in English. Even if they don't understand what I am saying exactly, most of them kind of know what I want. Underlining this with body language they understand me most times.
Aside of all the hints the most important hint: Just try! There is no perfect way to order food. Try different ways and discover what works best. Even though the language barrier exists.


That’s it for today. Hope you enjoyed this entry. Feel free to leave a comment below :)

Lukas

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Credits

CREDITS Topology Travel     Peter - Thank you for being a nice boss, although we didn't see each other a lot, I always enjoyed working with you. Steve - Especially developing and improving the walkabout tour was an everyday joy. Thank you for all your kindness and advice. Core -  Always a smile on your face and a happy welcome. Working with you was a pleasure for me. Linda -  I still remember all the times we laughed together in office! Even a bad day turned good with a afternoon sitting next to you! Jesper - I hope you are fine and still remember the time we got lost around Taipei Zoo! It was a pleasure to work with you and doing the walkabout tours with you!! Alan - We spent some time doing music together! I also enjoyed our visit in Tamsui University! Thank you for giving me this opportunities. To the rest of the office : I am sorry if I didn't meniton you here. I enjoyed working with you and all the fun times we had in office. I learned a lot fro

Why Toby and Thelmas Camping is worth travelling any distance to.

Paradise After an amazing, silent night with the calming sound of the ocean in the background, I woke up and got out of my tent to recognize I was in paradise: Camping The campground is only small and offers space for maximum 15 persons. The small group of guests provided the opportunity of a friendly and relaxing atmosph ere. Moreover the bewitching environment, the friendly staff and the amazing food made this campground a priceless experience for me. The price of about 26 € per night included three meals a day (two buffet meals and a breakfast) and free use of all equipment for example Kayaks.  I took a ten minute ride to the next small island everyday.  This small Island was called "the office" It was the only opportunity to get some Internet and a call from my girlfriend. Actually this week was very hard for the relationship. The time difference, a bad connection, we were able hear each other only a few times

Long time no see!

Arriving in Tokyo was a two parted experience. My first thought when I left the airplane was: It's so cold!  And yes, I felt the 30 degree drop from Phillipines to Tokyo.  The cold air soaked me in as soon as I left the airplane. The second thought was: I am going to meet a good friend soon! Ruben and I are friends since we met in school. He decided to go to Tokyo for one year and I decided to go to Taiwan, so the decision was easy to visit Tokyo. The city itself is a very busy, modern, weird, full, vibrant and traditional place at the same time. Nothing like Taipei or Manila. The buildings are large around the touristic parts but get lower as soon as you leave them. I immediately felt lost in the urban jungle. It was freezing in that time and although I got sick we went out every day to see the all the different facettes that Tokyo offers. Another thing you should consider if you are going to visit Tokyo, is that it is super expensive. I spent the money f